Re: discussion:Fw: [The vOICe] Linux? Yes, probably

Osvaldo,

I am definitely a believer in open source, open standards,
and everything that goes with it. I have been a proponent
and evangelist for this for a long time. And I think we
all want software to be free, as in open, like GPL etc.

But the reality of the world is that much software is
not free, much is proprietary. The problem I have with
what you are saying, it that you think you have a right
to have all free/open software. I don't think you have
that right. You can make choices, and choose not to
use or support proprietary software, but to say it is
descrimination to not have open source, I think that
is stretching the definition of discrimination.

I thought descrimination meant not being treated
differently, but being treated equally with others.
If that is true, you are saying you want more than
others. Others don't have all free software. They
cannot force anyone to make their software open
source.

The open source model has proven to be very powerful
indeed. But proprietary software is a reality, and it
isn't going away.

Have you checked any of your own software into open
source today, so others can use it? If you had an
idea that you wanted to keep proprietary, in order
to preserve your intellectual property, don't you
think you have the right to do that? Don't others?
How does "equality" equal "open source"? Open source
may create equality, but if tomorrow it was forced
that all software be open and free, there would be
a lot of empty buildings and unemployed developers.

I am ALL for open source. But I believe in choice
and freedom. If I believe in choice then I cannot
say someone "should" open their source, just because
I want their code.

-- Doug

At 10:10 AM 7/18/2003 +0200, you wrote:
I'm agree to explain why I think that ... :
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:42:31AM +0200, Doug wrote:
> Osvaldo said:
> > equival to discriminating people
> Sounds like a stretch of the definition to me.
Well, does any alternatives already exist, or any other
equivalent product?
if the answer is:
- yes it exists but not for Linux, then I consider that this
discriminates me since I only use Linux as os, (and I'm probably not the
one and only to do that)
- if the answer is no, anyway no alternatives for Linux, then it means
the product must be ported, and to port it the community need the code:
not giving the code is an empeachment of development of solutions for
us, so it reduces my accessibility, it requires that I should continue
using a o s taht supports that product, so I feel it as an encouragement
for proprietary solutions and a discrimination to people who prefers
another choice.

> Discriminating: to make a difference in treatment or
Thats jsut what I explained.
> favor on a basis other than individual merit
> <discriminate in favor of your friends>
> <discriminate against a certain nationality>
This is a strechted vision of the subject I think so.

Osvaldo.
PS: accepting to gie the code prevents people to hack (sorry to crack)
for obtaining the same thing... think about it!!!