From: "Janina Sajka" <janina@afb.net>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 7:17 AM
Subject: Re: Configuring Network Connections

> As with so many things on Linux, there are several ways of configuring
your network connections. The one you cite below happens to be a gui tool
for
> doing so. Sorry, it's not accessible. The way we're supposed to do it now
on the command line side is with the 'ip' command. Sorry, I haven't learned
> that one yet, but maybe someone else can help.
> The commands I use, which may help you, depending on your circumstances,
include:

> chkconfig --level 35 network on/off
> service network start/stop/restart
> ifconfig [device]
> modprobe [device]
> dhclient [device]
>
> There is also a ncurses based tool under the setup command, but beware,
there's also a bug in the libraries beneath ncurses that sometimes causes
speech
> to be one item ahead of the actual highlighted selection.
>
> We can help you better if you would tell us more. What network connection?
Modem or dedicated ethernet, for example? How many on your system. What kind