Re: Configuring Network Connections

As with so many things on Linux, there are several ways of configuring your network connections. The one you cite below happens to be a gui tool for
doing so. Sorry, it's not accessible. The way we're supposed to do it now on the command line side is with the 'ip' command. Sorry, I haven't learned
that one yet, but maybe someone else can help.
The commands I use, which may help you, depending on your circumstances, include:

chkconfig --level 35 network on/off
service network start/stop/restart
ifconfig [device]
modprobe [device]
dhclient [device]

There is also a ncurses based tool under the setup command, but beware, there's also a bug in the libraries beneath ncurses that sometimes causes speech
to be one item ahead of the actual highlighted selection.

We can help you better if you would tell us more. What network connection? Modem or dedicated ethernet, for example? How many on your system. What kind
of ip logic, e.g. dynamic or static ip?

PS: If you've installed Linux, how did you miss configuring this during the installation.

Kelly Ford writes:
> From: "Kelly Ford" <kelly@kellford.com>
>
> Hello Again,
>
> Thanks to folks for help getting Linux installed.  One other question for
> now.
>
> How do I configure network connections?  I tried a command listed in the
> Redhat manuals of redhat-config-network but received an error that the
> display couldn't be opened.  Is this not a console mode program and if not
> what do I need to use or files do I need to edit.
>
> I'd like to connect the box to my SMC router via a wired connection if
> possible.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Kelly

				Janina Sajka, Director