Linux speech w/o special hardware

In my archives, I found these two messages on emacspeak servers for
Festival.

	    - Jim Van Zandt

>From blinux-list@redhat.com  Tue Nov 10 20:09:14 1998
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 05:17:19 -0500
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
From: Bryan Smart <bsmart@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: speech daemon for linux?

I am also disappointed in the current state of software synthesis.
Programs like Festival and Mbrola produce some of the most realistic
sounding speech that I've heard from a computer.  They are, however, too
slow and slugish to be useful to users of programs like Emacspeak.  I've
been trying to get *some* kind of software synth to be usable enough with
Emacspeak to where I could stop lugging my DecTalk along with my laptop,
but have had little luck.

Bart's Mbrola server is reasonably responsive, but Mbrola has many problems
that cause it to hang on certain phraises.  Other problems with his server
cause seemingly random core dumps.  Further, the Mbrola voice does not seem
to be as responsive as the DecTalk.

I wrote a server that used the Festival speech system, and, while that one
was considerably more stable than Bart's server, the Festival system is far
slower than Mbrola.  No chance of zippping along with Festival as you might
with your DecTalk.

Lastly, I have hacked together a server that uses Rsynth.  Rsynth is older
and takes far less CPU power than either of the two systems already
mentioned.  Rsynth is still far from perfect.  The code could work far
better than it does.  It inserts long pauses between words and pads the
output (both of these detract from its speed).

I've been working to streamline Rsynth in the hopes that it can perform at
least as well as one of the 80's hardware synths.  I will keep the list
posted.

I am disappointed that more oldschool code is not available on this topic.
The old Echo II I used on my Apple IIe back in 1985 was a simple piece of
hardware that was both responsive and understandable (after a time).  The
circuitry on the card could not have been complicated (street price was
$130 back then), and I wonder why more software modeling of these earlier
synths has not been done.  Does anyone know of such code?

With out a software DecTalk for Linux and only high-end diphone
synthesizers available, we may be in for a long wait with regards to usable
software synthesis.

Bryan

--
Bryan R. Smart                     Home Phone: 843-953-2721
System Administrator               DCS Mobal: 843-814-7627

---
Send your message for blinux-list to blinux-list@redhat.com
Blinux software archive at ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux
Blinux web page at http://leb.net/blinux
with subject line: unsubscribe