Linux speech w/o special hardware

You might want to check the  blinux archive. I don't recall precisely,
though this was definitely on the list a week or two ago. First, though be
sure you can actually get flite working. Do a search on google for flite
to find the place to download the source from and compile it. If that's
successful, it will make sense to take the next steps. If it isn't, it
won't make any difference.