>From chomiak@chartermi.net Sun Mar 24 00:44:03 2002
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:37:13 -0600 (CST)
From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@chartermi.net>
To: John J. Boyer <director@chpi.org>
Subject: Re: Dosemu

Hi John!
Ok, first of all, you are going to need some more packages from dosemu.org.
These should be under the dosemu directory. First, you need the
dosemu-1.0.2-bin.tgz, because apparently the way to put in this development
version is to move some files from the 1.1.3 directory 9after you've compiled
it) to the old tree. You also need to download dosemu-freedos-bin.tgz from the
same place. both of these are ready-mae binaries; no compiling.
As for system-wide installation, the 1.0.2 will automatically be user-specific
9lives in your home directory) and when I tried "make install" with the 1.3.1 I
got a message saying there was no provision for system-wide, and that's when it
told me what files to insert in the old dosemu tree. But somebodyon the speakup
list said he did a systemwide, so I have a note in to him to ask how he did it.
Will let you know while he answers. Meanwhile, you could get started with the
private one.
(I know you aren't going to use freedos; I hate freedos, but you have to
initially put it in or this version will complain and refuse to work. The debian
version is system wide by default and doesn't even come with freedos; you either
put in your own system or go download freedos yourself.
Once you have all three of these files downloaded, the 1.3.1, the 1.0.2 and the
freedos, create a directory in your home directory called mydos. Unpack first
the dosemu-freedos and then the dosemu-1.0.2 (tar zxf) inside the mydos
directory. This creates a dosemu directory under mydos; you can explore and see
what all is in there.
Next, unpack the 1.1.3 of dosemu, just in your home directory, not inside mydos.
By the way, do all of this stuff as yourself not as root, since it isn't
system-wide. Then do "make" from inside the dosemu-1.1.3 directory that is
created when you unpack. If you get stopped with any errors, it means you are
probably missing a package and have to go download it; I had to go get flex
because the 'lex" command wasn't found. fortunately, the debian site lets you
search for contents of packages, so I put in lex and was able to find out what
the package was.
when the make is successfully completed, copy the following files from the bin
directory into mydos/dosemu/bin
dosemu.bin and dosdebug.
edit dosemu.conf there. there are some values already in there for dpmi and
memory; you could start with those and then change them if you think it is
necessary.
You will see a line that starts with $emusys + "" and I put emu within the
quotes. The next line says $emubat =  and i put emb inside the quotes. I did
this so i could modify my config.sys file in my real dos directory and call the
modification config.emu and do the same with the autoexec.bat and call it
autoexec.emb and not mess up my actual config.sys and autoexec.bat. Jus temember
that if you end up using the config.sys in mydos/dosemu/freedos you also should
change that extention.

A bit further down, I changed the "speaker" line to "emulated" instead of "" but
I don't know for
sure that this is necessary.
The hdimage line right now has 'freedos" within the quotes; you need to add in
the name you will use for the link to your dos partition; it's better to make a
link than to use the raw partition name. I have "msdos". whichever of these two
you have first, freedos and msdos, will come up as C: and the other will be a D
drive. I wanted msdos as the c drive of course, but it took me a while to get
things set up right, so I started out with freedos and C: and then switched them
when I had things squared away. You just need a space between the two labels on
the hdimage line, no comma.
Under the com lines, you only need to put something in the ones you want to use;
the ones with just "" will be ignored. so in the com2 line, put /dev/ttyS1
within the quotes. I also commented out all the mouse lines, but don't think
this is actually necessary.
In case you sometimes want to use pcdisk from dosemu, or the braillelite with
flipper, you could go ahead and put /dev/ttyS0 in the com1 line but then comment
it out. Then it would only take seconds to go in and uncomment the line before
going into dosemu if you were going to need that com port to go to dosemu.
After modifying your dosemu.conf, you need to modify your config.sys and
autoexec.bat but with whatever extensions you are using in the dosemu.conf. I
actually think it is ok to edit in emacs provided you have your real DOS
partition mounted as -t msdos, as files allways come up in emacs being
identified as dos. i've had no problem doing that. You also can edit these files
from within your own DOS by rebooting into dos/windows, or you can do editing
after starting dosemu if it will go ahead and start. Only if you end up loading
freedos instead of your own dos, be ware; I never did figure out how to save and
exit with that editor. The normal dos editor is interesting too; to get into the
menus you can't just press alt; you have to hold down alt and hit for instance
"f" for files. then I did a 456-chord with my braillelite that got me to the
place that showed me which menu line I was on. From there you up and down arrow,
watching that line.
I fiddled with things to ffigure out what was essential to include in my
config.emu and autoexec.emb from the config.sys and autoexec.bat you will find
in freedos. I don't know that I have it perfect yet, but I'll send you mine as
attachments (not included in list post) so you at least get the idea. Dosemu has
its own memory manager, so
it doesn't need and won't load himem and emm386.
If you think you may be using freedos as c: at first, copy your config.emu and
autoexec.emu and io.sys and msdos.sys and command.com into the freedos
directory. Also, delete kernel.sys or better yet rename it in case you need
it later. Only this is kind of a pain, because then you have to change your
paths for your own dos stuff to d:, so if you can skip having to do this, all
the better. By the way, I did all my modifications on my .emu and .emb file by
working on the file in one console while looking at the other (my original or
the freedos file) in the other console; I also used cut-and-paste, and of course
you can also put both files in emacs and either use a divided window or switch
buffers and use the yanking feature. So lots of options for a thankless task.
Always a good idea to backup your autoexec.bat and config.sys, and the freedos
config.sys, by another name in case you accidentally edit the wrong one or
something else happens.
There are a couple of other ways to do this, and either or both mya be better
than my method; this is what i was able to figure out and it eventually worked.
I understand that you can also make a hdimage file from your own dos and put
that in dosemu or in freedos itself--not sure. Or you might be able to just
modify the freedos directory itself and not have to have an "msdos" and
"freedos" drive. You'll have to do your own exploring for these options.
For the method i am propounding, you will need to have your dos partition
mounted and do a symlink:
ln -s /dos 9that's where i have mounted my dos partition in /etc/fstab or you
can mount it by hand; just make sure it is mounted as a dos partition)
/home/jboyer/mydos/dosemu/msdos (r whatever name you gave it in the hdimage line
of your dosemu.conf. Then when you go into dosemu, you do it with your dos
partion still mounted; if you had used /dev/hda2 (or whatever partition) in the
hdimage line, you would have to go in with the partition unmounted, and it is my
understanding you could lose more data in a crash by using the raw partition
name.
I also copied most of the files from /home/chomiak/mydos/dosemu/freedos/dosemu
into my real dos root partition, because some of those files are needed, such as
ems.sys for the config.emu and that way you don't have to use unnecessary paths
to your freedos drive once you have things mostly working from your own dos
drive. Make sure the emuexit.com is accessable to you one way or another,
because "exitemu" is the only graceful way to exit dosemu. If you do get hung
somewhere in dosemu, the way to kill it 9as you rather than root sice this isn't
systemwide) is to type
killall dosemu.bin
I know this is a lot of info, and i've tried to be organized about presenting
it. but it is a lot, and what I got to work may not necessarily be best practice
or the method you decide to follow. By the way, the docs are not very good in my
oppinion. the reason is that they are a jumble, for the most part, of old
instructions kind of updated; somebody hasn't taken the time to start from the
beginning and modify everything for the current packages.
Have fun; hope i didn't forget to tell you anything important!