emacs and elisp apps question

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I downloaded erc.el among other packages including w3m and got its tar
> ball.  So far as I can tell, no w3m.el or w3m.elc file exists so in order
> to run that browser with emacspeak I have to go to a shell and run it from
> there.  Those lines in my .emacs file for it do nothing.

First, you will probably need the w3m.el package too.

> I don't know how to prepare erc.el to run since even in the
> site-lisp directory it beeps just like w3m does when I try running
> it from inside of emacspeak and emacs.

You need to have the elisp extensions you want to use in your load-path.
Try C-h v load-path RET and see what it is set too. Either put
the elisp files in one of those directories (not so pretty), or
add a path to your load-path in .emacs where you place all those files.
A suggestion might be ~/elisp or something. Be sure to create that directory,
and place the elisp files there.  Then, autoload statments or
invoking M-x load-library should allow you to load and startup to extensions.

> I'd like to find out how to do this so emacspeak can get more
> useful.

My suggestion is, learn Emacs.  Emacspeak is a Emacs extension, and in
order to use Emacspeak efficiently, you need to know how to use Emacs.

--
CYa,
  Mario