booting options

Janina,

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:28:22 -0400 (EDT), Janina wrote:
> Hi, Gil:
> 1.)	I have two Ctrl-G chars in my /boot/message file, which lilo uses.
> This gives me two side by side beeps that let me know I'm at the lilo
> "Boot>" prompt;
>
> 2.)	I have the line:
>
> 	serial=0,9600N8
>
> in my /etc/lilo.conf to actually speak the Boot> prompt whenever I have a
> serial synth attached.
>
> Does grub support anything like these two options that would allow a blind
> person to know when action to select a configuration is appropriate?

Please take a look at the grub documentation, on the FSF web
site:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html

and especially the part of the manual that talks about serial
terminals:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html#Serial%20terminal

So, I think grub should be able to manage your synth.

Now, as far as the "bell" (beep) is concerned that should also
be possible with the command "pause" that grub uses to display
a message to the user. Follow the next link for the
documentation on this command:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html#pause

I am not a grub expert myself, but the FSF documentation of
grub seems very well done, and a good source of information.
They, obviously, have done their homework and created grub
in such a way that it's perfectly usable for all kind of
users.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

--