Status report

Hey listers.

I just felt like sending a mail to the community again.

Here are some random infos I want to get across to you:

1. #blinux is alive!
   On irc.openprojects.net, the #blinux has some visitors from
time to time.  Right now I'm talking with sebfrance there about their
brlspeak distribution.  vortex (author of eflite) also
used to hang out there.  If you feel like
asking questions, or talking about linux for the blind,
visit us there.

2. eflite in debian unstable.
   I'm not sure if I announced this here before, but
eflite is now available as binary package in debian unstable
(codename sid).  Only missing part is to patch up the
emacspeak configuration script to offer eflite as an
configuration option, but this is stalled due
to some reasons right now.  Mainly because eflite
doesn't implement the lisp-level of functions a speech server
would need to provide, and emacspeak configuration depends on
those files being present (iirc).

3. brltty is in debian:
   This is very very old news,
but in case you didn't notice, debian unstable/testing both
have some version of brltty (2.98.5).  A debconf
interface is provided, so you can in theory easily select
your device name, driver type and translation table.  This should
be quite easy to do, in case you are using a sighted person
to get things going.

Feedback, tips, patches always welcome!

P.S.: What is all this debian fuss about?  This year I decided it
would be worth the effort to participate in this project. see
<url:http://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=mlang%40delysid.org> for
details.

--
CYa,