Making Device Fiiles

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, John J. Boyer wrote:

> ...  However, minicom still won't create the /etc/minicomrc.dfl
> file.  Incidentally, it has an attrocious interface. Instead of
> just using a plain text interface it is doing something fancy.

Yes, minicom uses a text windowing interface library known as
ncurses, with line drawing characters around sub windows, and
cursor placement escape codes, and the like.  For a more basic
text interface you might like to try:

ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/ibiblio/apps/serialcomm/dialout/xc-4.3.2.tar.gz
This is on an ibiblio (formerly metalab) mirror.

Short description at:
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/ibiblio/apps/serialcomm/dialout/xc-4.3.2.lsm

I don't use the thing much anymore as a terminal program (ppp
internet access trumps that easily), but I constantly use the
included voice "call" script (highly modified by me), to
automatically look up voice phone numbers numbers I have typed
into a text file, and dial them for me, then drop the line so I
can talk by voice.  This is a pure text interface that accepts a
search string (key) on the command line.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html