Making Device Fiiles

Rafael,
When I changed the link at /dov/modem to point to /dev/ttyS1 Minicom
showed a sort of menu with the instruction to press CRTl-a and z for
help. So I dod that, pressed p for parameters, set them to 300n81.
However, minicom still won't create the /etc/minicomrc.dfl file.
Incidentally, it has an attrocious interface. Instead of just using a
plain text interface it is doing something fancy. Anyway, it is
accessing the modem, because the modem is sending back instructions and
error messages that I'm familiar with.
So how do I get this beast to create its configuration file?
John