Making Device Fiiles

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 05:51:58PM -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Rafael,
> When I changed the link at /dov/modem to point to /dev/ttyS1 Minicom
> showed a sort of menu with the instruction to press CRTl-a and z for
> help. So I dod that, pressed p for parameters, set them to 300n81.

Good, that means your program is running.

> However, minicom still won't create the /etc/minicomrc.dfl file.
> Incidentally, it has an attrocious interface. Instead of just using a

That interface is "block graphics", i.e. there is a frame around the text
that pops up on top of the basic text. That's OK for people with good
vision but I don't know if you can turn that off or not.

> plain text interface it is doing something fancy. Anyway, it is
> accessing the modem, because the modem is sending back instructions and
> error messages that I'm familiar with.
> So how do I get this beast to create its configuration file?

Is your root partition mounter read write? I see no reason for root not to
be able to write to /etc or any other partition for that matter.

What happens if you try
touch /etc/minicomrc.dfl

That should create an empty file. Don't know what else could be a problem.