The Minicom Saga (cont.)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, John J. Boyer wrote:

> Hello all,
> Thanks to all of you who gave me suggestions. Minicom is now accessing the
> modem and I can use it in other logins besides root. However, the goofy
> interface continues to cause trouble. Part of this may be because I am
> using a Braille display that shows the framing characters as question
> marks. I'm even having trouble getting the program to quit. It gives a yes
> or no choice, but doesn't respond in the way most programs do. Is there a
> way to just get it to quit when it is told to do so, without making sure
> that that's what you want it to do.

To quit, just do CTRL-A X or CTRL-A Q (see the heop screen for the
difference).  You'll then be offered a box with two buttons as you
discovered.  See the position of the cursor to determine which one of the
"Yes" or "No" button is the default.  It should be "Yes", at which point you
only need to press ENTER.  Otherwise use the arrow keys to select the other
button, etc.

Yes' it's a bit annoying at first but you get used to it pretty quickly.

> My modem is a special one which can generate either 300 baud ASCII or
> baudot. I am getting the messages I expect from it, but so far minicom
> won't dial out. It also seems to want to communicate at 38400 baud. At
> least that''s what is on the screen.

Weird... If you're confident your modem should work at 300 bauds, then you
should do CTRL-A P A ENTER.

Nicolas