Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:50:27 -0500
From: Jean-Pierre Radley <jpr@jpr.com>
To: L. C. Robinson <lcr@onewest.net>
Cc: "blinux-list@redhat.com" <blinux-list@redhat.com>, tgm@netcom.com,
     jpr@jpr.com
Subject: Re: xc won't compile

L. C. Robinson propounded (on Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 08:35:26PM -0700):

| You will also have to do something appropriate about permissions, so
| it can access the modem port and lockfile dir.  The make install.suid
| target mentioned in the README no longer exists, but the strategy
| mentioned there works.  I don't know if it is safe, though: the
| minicom documentation specifically says that it is NOT safe to give it
| (minicom) any suid or sgid perms, and why (loaded with format string
| vulnerabilities).  Maybe something could be done with consolehelper in
| /etc/security that makes sense (if you have the usermode package, and
| PAM)?

Since all ports that are to be used by cu or uucico or xc are owned by
uucp, xc won't generally work if it isn't suid uucp.

| I have sent a copy of this to the maintainers listed in the
| READMEs: Note to them -- I recommended the xc package on this blind
| linux users list, over minicom, which poses more problems for speech
| and braille "displays".  Is it still being maintained?  How about
| adding the enclosed RedHat build script (perhaps as part of a .spec
| file (I might make one, if it will be included))?  This was for
| xc-4.3.2

Maintainers, plural?  I wrote xc.  I had no idea anyone was maintaining
it besides me.

I never used three-digit version numbers for xc.  The latest on my ftp
site is 4.8.  Since I only ever wrote it and used it on SCO Xenix and
SCO Unix, I can't speak to what Linux does or doesn't do that's
different, though I do know that people have made the necesary hacks to
compile it on Linux.

--
JP