How Do You Use Linux?: shopping and javascript

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> ...  However, I am able to do a lot of shopping online; I do,
> however, have concerns that if the Java script issue for linux
> isn't soon addressed, much of my shopping will eventuallly be
> impossible.

Actually, adding complexity is poor security practice.
Executable complexity is even worse, and even less likely to be
audited adequately, for security: I think javascript on
financially oriented web sites is stupid (and there have been
security problems with such).  And vendors who do unnecessarily
fancy stuff make their sites more difficult to navigate, even for
sighted users (Sears, for instance is atrocious -- I won't shop
there).  Do you really think that vendors who don't have a clue
about the web and it's culture, and about alt tags, and pages
that are adaptable to different devices are somehow, in contrast,
especially competent about security?  Do you want to trust such
vendors with your credit card info, etc?  I keep java and
javascript turned off in my browser, unless it is absolutely
necessary (rarely -- you can usually go elsewhere).

My guess is that, as time goes on, and exploits inevitably
multiply, the surviving vendors will get more clueful, and keep
java and the like out of their pages.  If not, you will no doubt
see these features included in the textmode browsers, with time
(maybe no matter what happens).

In the meantime, just relax, and select vendors that have a clue.
You don't need the others; the web is a huge place.

> It's not that I'm whining and wishing somebody else would do
> it; if I had the knowledge and skills, I would definitely be
> working on this problem, and I really hope that somebody is
> trying to do so.

There actually is something you could do: when an 800 number is
available, you could call them, or email them, and tell them why
you won't do business with them, perhaps with supporting
references to passages related to their security practices, such
as pointers to choice passages from world class experts.  One
good site to search for such things is http://www.counterpane.com
Example for digital signatures:

Why Digital Signatures Are Not Signatures
http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0011.html#1

I've done this, with mixed success: at least my credit union no
longer serves web pages from Win-NT (REALLY stupid).  I had to
ask to talk to someone with decision making power: you'd have to
do the same.  Don't ask them to accept your word: point them to
the world class experts who have published on your topic.  And
suggest useful key phrases (tested by you) for the search engines
(then it can be their idea, in the end).  Speed up the education
process for the vendors you care about.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html