Changing from Redhat to Debian

I'm sorry if I confused you about which distribution to use. The way I
see it is use the best tool available at the moment and stick with it
for a while. Redhat was my main environment for years since their
release 4.0 I believe. Redhat was a great improvement from Slackware
used for my first Linux install in 1994.

I was hoping that Redhat will improve the rpm process but they never
made it beyound minor changes. There was talk going around about the
merger between Debian and Redhat packaging systems but that never
happened. As I mentioned earlier I found Debian much easier to install
recently and decided to use it more often than before. One of the
reasons I tried Debian again was bad experience with Redhat 7.0 and 7.1.
In order to get critical things working I ended up with installing too
many things when using Redhat while debian was much leaner.

I don't want to go on record to say one distribution is better than the
other. It's not hard to find problems with all of them. I described my
experience and reasons I chose one over the other. The best thing to do
is to install different distributions and try them out for a while then
decide which one to adopt. That's how we use different products, we like
different things.

Good luck,

Rafael