Running smbclient

Hello,
Thanks to everone who replied to my question about installing Samba last
week. I have now managed to install it from the Redhat 7.1 CD's, and will
install 7.2 or update from their Web site when this is working.
The rest of the machines in our office are running Windows 98 SE. No
password is requiredd for one machine to access another.
Smbclient works on one of them, called "beans." If I type
smbclient -L beans
There is a brief wait, then it asks for a passwork. I press enter as the
man page instructs, and get a list of things on beans, including the hard
drive and printer. The command then terminates.
I have tried a number of different ways to get the prompt that would allow
smbclient to operate like ftp, but it always gives either a list or an
error message and then terminates.
Another machine on our network is called "welcome." smbclient always says
that the connection failed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
John

--