Running smbclient

I don't like the idea of any computer running without password protection
anywhere, even small offices. The main reason is that people get spoiled
and think it's always that way and make unresonable requests based on
that later on.

My suggestion is to setup a Linux box as a PDC server with users
authenticating to it. That way you can easily setup permissions for file
access, print services, make backups, etc. My suggestion is to either
check Samba website for documentation or buy a book from O'Reilly. It's
worth it.

I use smbtar on Linux to backup windows machine with password and PDC
(W2000 server). Also, all users print over Linux print server.

Check /var/log/samba/ for error and other logs.

You need to experiment with other parameters to smbclient command. -U for
user is an important one. I can't tell what will work for you without
knowing your setup in details. Also, W98 is a real pain. W2000 is a bit
better to integrate into network.