Linux Viruses

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, John J. Boyer <director@chpi.org> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi,
> One reason there are so many Microsoft viruses is that their software is
> used on a vast number of machines. If Linux were to become popular, wouldn't
> there be a lot of Linux viruses? Or Worms? There have been some notorious
> Unix infections.

As stated elsewhere by someone, there might be more trials but it's
not quite the same. For one thing, it is well known that there are
many more vulnerabilities in windows than ever there will be found on
any unix system. Also, you can think of windows as a big undivided
building whereas a unix system is more like a securely comparted area;
winning access to one particular area does not allow you to do what
you will everywhere. another fact that is worth remembering is that it
requires far less skill to design and write a virus for windows than
it does to do the same for a unix platform. Lastly, I'd like to point
out that the linux worms that were sighted lately and to which you
were referring have spread chiefly because people didn't apply the
patches or update the packages that were already available; those
vulnerabilities that were used were rather widely known but the holes
hadn't been closed by some uncaring admins. Which shows well that a
unix system is only as secure as you make it.

note: This, of course, is really off-topic for this list.