Linux Viruses

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 12:11:47PM -0400, John J. Boyer wrote:
> One reason there are so many Microsoft viruses is that their software is
> used on a vast number of machines. If Linux were to become popular, would=
n't
> there be a lot of Linux viruses? Or Worms? There have been some notorious
> Unix infections.

Indeed there are a number of them.  However, the biggest one I recall in
recent memory was fixed within 4 hours of being discovered.  Now granted
it doesn't matter if the update were made available 4 minutes afterward if
people don't get the updates - I still get code red hits today!  As Linux
grows, more exploits will go unfixed and given the DDoS nature of worms
these days it will be annoying.

For the moment though, it's harder to exploit a Linux system usually, and
they tend to be fixed faster and more often after an exploit is found.

--=20
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>            Free software developer

<knghtbrd> it's too bad most ancient unices are y2k compliant
<|Rain|> too bad?
<|Rain|> why, because people won't upgrade until 2038?

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--