The growing accessibility gap: was Ameritech.net

A great exchange of ideas and thoughts. I think we all need to realize
though that the whole reason we get to have these exchanges in this format
is all of the programmers collectively that have contributed to our access
to written communications! I appreciate them all, Linux, Windows, All of
them!
    In the past there was a wall up to us that was a very formidable barrier
and that was Braille. Though Braille was a great thing, it presented a
barrier to those not being able to read printed material, as they could take
notes and write letters, but only to someone that understood Braille! Now
though the computer has bridged the gap by allowing us to communicate in a
forum that is comfortable to the sighted community. Face it we are the ones
that are different, so must adapt, and all of the programmers no matter how
small they contributed, none the less contributed to the betterment of our
lives.
    I myself feel so lucky to be able to access printed word again! I am
just thankful to all who have tried to help! After all is said and done, I
am just thankful to have the opportunity to have an exchange like this at
all!
    Think of this as you navigate the web, you run across inaccessible web
pages, and must struggle to get the information from them. But think of
this, at least you can get the information for yourself! Have you ever been
able to do this from a book or magazine someone left behind? I mean all for
yourself, as you and I both know it is hard to ask someone to read to you,
and if you need it reread to you you could feel their frustration especially
if they were not interested in the subject matter or didn't understand it.
Think about leaving it all behind you! Life is much easier now!
    I think this was a healthy exchange of ideas, and you have great minds.
It is time now however to count our blessings, and remember what it was like
before! I like both systems, and respect the contributions of all that have
worked to make my life easier.
    One also important point was made about the freeware community working
and sharing their knowledge, bless those people! I only wish I had big
enough pockets to help them all, though they still keep working with a
believe in mind, and ingenuity, they are heroes in my book! We are lucky to
live in this time!
    I toast you all as you fight for knowledge and struggle to access, and
work to keep on keeping on, none of you have quit, and that is something to
be very proud of! You as well as I could have said, "I can't see anymore, I
am going to sit here and do nothing from now on." I know you have came
across this, and that is something to be really ashamed of! Keep up the good
work, and though it is a challenge come away with the knowledge that you are
progressing in a situation most can't imagine!
73 RR
AB7JM
http://personal.riverusers.com/~ab7jm_gila