custom installation question

You will need to use diskdruid regardless of whether or not you use fdisk
to create the actual partitions. You will need to use diskdruid to specify
the mount points to the Redhat installer -- e.g. which partition is to be
/, which one is /usr, which one is /home, etc.

By the bye, my advice, and it's my very strong advice, is to put linux
into at least those three basic partitions. OK, I could go along with two,
/ and /home, but no less.

PS: I disagree that diskdruid is particularly blind friendly. It can be
used effectively by a blind person, but only after you catch on to its
quirks. Unfortunately, diskdruid is even worse in the new Redhat beta--the
new and not improved diskdruid that you will still need to wrestle with to
specify mount points.

 On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Rafael Skodlar wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:04:30PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Given linux is all that's on a 20gig drive, in the custom installation
> > selection I have a choice of fdisk or disk druid.  Which one is best to
> > use, and what are best selections for answering it?  Neither one of those
> > packages look at hardware and offer defaults for partition names and
> > sizes.  This should be a simpler situation than trying to have both
> > windows and linux on a machine though.
>
> Either one is good. diskdruid is more user friendly but fails in some
> instances. fdisk never failed for me assuming the drive parameters in BIOS
> were setup correctly.
>
> I like to split disk drive into following partition scheme assuming ATA
> type of disk drive:
>
> /dev/hda1  /       (100 - 150 MB bootable)
> /dev/hda5  /usr    (1 GB - 2 GB, depending on the system function; server etc.)
> /dev/hda6  /var    (200 -400 MB, for logs etc.)
> /dev/hda7  /tmp    (200 -300 MB)
> /dev/hda8  swap    (twice the RAM size, 512 MB max)
> /dev/hda9  /home   (the rest of the drive for user space)
>
> That scheme allows me to upgrade without reformatting home directory and
> makes it easier for backups etc. Note that creating a separate /boot
> partition doesn't give you anything while / (root) partition with some
> binaries  in /bin and /sbin is enough to recover from some problems.
> Creating a single partition for everything is bad and you realize it when
> you want to upgrade if not sooner.
>
> If you need to partition identical drives many times then creating a file
> with partition information is worth doing and use sfdisk to automaticaly
> create partition from the information in file.
>
> Hope it answers your question.
>
> > Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
>
> --
> Rafael

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp