custom installation question

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:04:30PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Given linux is all that's on a 20gig drive, in the custom installation
> selection I have a choice of fdisk or disk druid.  Which one is best to
> use, and what are best selections for answering it?  Neither one of those
> packages look at hardware and offer defaults for partition names and
> sizes.  This should be a simpler situation than trying to have both
> windows and linux on a machine though.

Either one is good. diskdruid is more user friendly but fails in some
instances. fdisk never failed for me assuming the drive parameters in BIOS
were setup correctly.

I like to split disk drive into following partition scheme assuming ATA
type of disk drive:

/dev/hda1  /       (100 - 150 MB bootable)
/dev/hda5  /usr    (1 GB - 2 GB, depending on the system function; server etc.)
/dev/hda6  /var    (200 -400 MB, for logs etc.)
/dev/hda7  /tmp    (200 -300 MB)
/dev/hda8  swap    (twice the RAM size, 512 MB max)
/dev/hda9  /home   (the rest of the drive for user space)

That scheme allows me to upgrade without reformatting home directory and
makes it easier for backups etc. Note that creating a separate /boot
partition doesn't give you anything while / (root) partition with some
binaries  in /bin and /sbin is enough to recover from some problems.
Creating a single partition for everything is bad and you realize it when
you want to upgrade if not sooner.

If you need to partition identical drives many times then creating a file
with partition information is worth doing and use sfdisk to automaticaly
create partition from the information in file.

Hope it answers your question.

--
Rafael