system status

Jude, read your mail. I wrote you precisely about this point yesterday.
You haven't told linux to talk to your synth, or you installed a
distribution which does not have speakup in it. One or the other is true
here.

1.)	Where did you get the distribution. If it's from Bill's site, or
it's mirror, you're in good shape;

2.)	Pass the appropriate synth string during lilo, i.e.:

	vmlinuz speakup_synth=ltlk

 On Tue, 4 Sep
2001, Jude DaShiell
wrote:

> An interesting set of developments.  First, when I try to bring Linux up I
> hear the (@) sign probably at hardware detection.  Everything after that
> is silent.  However I had sighted assistance today and was told I could
> log in so I did it.  Still complete silence, but there's a somewhat
> working system on that dell now.  As I wrote in an earlier message to this
> list, lilo didn't come up and ask if I wanted to pass it any parameters
> during the installation process.  After the xconfigurator stuff failed and
> I skipped it I heard the system say post installation configuration veryb
> quickly three times then there was a pause and then I heard that (@) sign
> for the first time.  I'm carboning another contact I have in the penguin
> club, so hopefully both of us will get whatever responsses come from the
> list on this situation.  When I did log in today I was told my last login
> had been Monday september 3, so we know this login although silent has
> worked at least twice.  Any ideas on where best to go from here would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp