parted and moving/shrinking partitions and now swap

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:05:16AM -0400, Frank Carmickle wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > > /dev/hdb2, a swap partition I didn't want to install, but the system
> > > wouldn't let me go without it.
> > You want it. I promise.
>
> Why?  If someone has a system that doesn't run a lot of tasks but they
> have 256 mb of memory or above I don't see a reason for it.  With the
> price of 256mb ddr and sdram being around $30 to $45 US there's no real
> reason why a lot of people should have to be using swap.  Especially with
> the state the vm system has been in in kernel releases 2.4.7 to 2.4.9.  We
> are still feeling the effects in 2.4.10 and 2.4.12 a little.  Things just
> swap out and they stay there.  There's one really easy way to make sure
> they don't swap out.  Don't use swap!

That's something I would NOT recommend to any of my friends. System
without swap is going to fail at one point so that you won't be able to
recover.  The kernel simply expects swap to be there. Also saying that
256MB of memory is enough for most people is also nonsense. In network
environment the situation is very dynamic and each system might be used by
more than one user, either logged in directly or using some shared
services.

I see many people create /boot partition to keep the kernel only. That's
nonsense. It's unusable when any other partition gets corrupted and you
want to boot the system to a single user mode for maintenance.

Most default partioning setups are not effective so I suggest the
following:

/	100 - 150 MB
/usr	900 - 3000 MB
/var	35 - 400 MB
/tmp	100 - 300 MB
/home	the rest
swap	2 times RAM

Anything else is going to be a problem sooner or later. That will keep you
out of trouble in most cases for a long time. It allows you to upgrade
without destroying your /home and you can preserve logs and other config
files if needed. The numbers depend on purpose of the system, server (WWW,
printer, NFS, Samba, etc.), office station, developer's work station, etc.

The above mentioned partition structure allows you to boot into single
user mode and fix most of the problems without a need for recovery disk
(floppy or CD).

I've done it that way many many times and it's a result of hundreds of
installations in mixed environment. Whenever other's install Linux with
default

/boot
swap
/

they regret it. No way to upgrade without tearing down everything while
all I need is tar cvfp /home/sysconfig.tar /etc /root /whatever and
preserve old configuration files and other important stuff. You have to be
careful not to reformat /home partition during new installation. Of course
real backups are still needed but /home is normaly big enough to easily
keep my config in addition to regular user's stuff.

--
Rafael Skodlar