parted and moving/shrinking partitions and now swap

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > /dev/hdb2, a swap partition I didn't want to install, but the system
> > wouldn't let me go without it.
> You want it. I promise.

Why?  If someone has a system that doesn't run a lot of tasks but they
have 256 mb of memory or above I don't see a reason for it.  With the
price of 256mb ddr and sdram being around $30 to $45 US there's no real
reason why a lot of people should have to be using swap.  Especially with
the state the vm system has been in in kernel releases 2.4.7 to 2.4.9.  We
are still feeling the effects in 2.4.10 and 2.4.12 a little.  Things just
swap out and they stay there.  There's one really easy way to make sure
they don't swap out.  Don't use swap!

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568