Fw: Linux desktop push could benefit disabled

Hi All,

I must say I found the press release about GNOME equally confusing and
uninformative.  I've worked on Sun kit for several years, and its great as
long a you stick to the command line interface, or curses based screen
applications.  However, I don't think Sun can claim that much in the way of
accessibility for Java as yet.  I know there has been some work in this area,
but the nearest I've ever come to using it, was to install the Java access
classes on my PC for interfacing with JFW.  This has improved my access to any
aplications by exactly nothing as far as I can tell, so I'm hoping that the
GNOME (which most people I've ever heard pronounce as nome) project, will be a
bit more apparent in its benefits.  Presumably, it will have no effect on
end-user accessibility unless somebody writes a screenreader which capitalises
on the accessibility features built in to the GNOME environment.

Hope I'm not being too negative about this, as I'd certainly like it to
succeed.  However, I'm wondering if its a feature of Unix/Linux that there is
a large proportion of people without sight problems who don't care much for
the GUI approach, and if this explains why a lot of applications which are
entirely non GUI are still maintained.  If this is the case, maybe its not
worth putting lots of development into GUI access for the blind on Unix
flavoured operating systems.

Regards,

Tim Pennick