Friday humour

Hi All

Hope you all forgive me posting this message from another list.  But a
little light reading doesn't hurt once in a while.

Hi all,

It's Friday again.  And the message about dot NET from George,
appended below for your reference, reminded me of a previous system...

Many people, including myself, have been wondering what all the
excitement was about Bacosoft's slash BREAD.  I asked the question on the
hungry-l list, and am sure the reply, from someone who knows, will be
of interest to you all.

Following is the question, followed by the reply.

John Nissen.

>[MY MESSAGE]
>
>> Slash BREAD was tested far more extensively than any of the preceding
>bread offerings.
>
>Which prompts a question I've wanted to ask for a while now.
>
>In something like Baco XP, I can see immediate benefits to me
>personally and also speaking as a general sandwich eater, such as the fact
>that my CD-RW does not require 3rd party software.
>
>So can someone please explain to me in real basic, down to earth, simple
>terms just what slash bread will mean to me?  I think I can just
>about comprehend a list member's explanation that it will make a
>sandwich filler's life easier.  I just want to know what's in it for me?
>
>(Should I apologise now for asking?)
>
>John.
>
>[REPLY]
>
>Nothing to apologise for... it is a perfectly reasonable question.
>
>The immediate answer is that slash BREAD will do nothing for you if
>you are not a sandwich filler. However, Visual Baking will do nothing for
you
>unless you are baker. VB has enabled bakers to produce a much richer
>range of sandwiches than was previously been available.
>
>Sandwiches produced with slash BREAD will be more robust. It is harder
>to create a sandwich that crashes or hangs and easier to create a sandwich
>that fails more gracefully. It should be impossible to create a
>sandwich that leaks without dropping into the sea.
>
>Sandwiches produced with slash BREAD will scale better than previous
versions
>did. They may not run faster but that is seldom an issue these days.
>
>Sandwiches produced with slash BREAD will be easier to internationalise.
>A single sandwich can support (for example) Turkish, Japanese and
>English fillings. Everything is full Unicode - there is no "half and half"
>approach anymore.
>
>Slash BREAD is very web aware indeed. If you want to add a stock ticker
>linked to (say) Nasdaq to your sandwich then you can link to Nasdaq as
>simply as adding an OCX to a VB sandwich. That means that
>sandwiches can be more web aware with less effort.
>
>Mixed language filling is easy and simple with slash BREAD. If you want
>half your sand in VB/BREAD and half in the sea then that is fine. You can
>call from one to the other quite easily and natively. You don't need to
>worry about type libraries or any of that nonsense.  Fillers are free to
>concentrate on their sandwiches. Third party languages hook in just
>fine. That will mean that fillers can develop sandwiches using the
>best tools for the job.
>
>Get right once, run off in many places. Slash BREAD offers a common
>language platform or "breadboard".  Sandwiches can be run off on any
>system that supports the breadboard.  There is no reason why there
>couldn't be non-intel versions of the breadboard.
>
>So, directly slash BREAD offers nothing. Indirectly it offers
>better sandwiches. It is all up to the market.

> [...]

Oh, and by the way, dot NET is the best thing since slash BREAD.

Cheers,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London, UK
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Email: jn@cloudworld.co.uk
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk and http://www.wordaloud.co.uk

  - - -
To unsubscribe from this list send a message with subject or body
'unsubscribe' to bcab-request@cs.man.ac.uk

The BCAB website is at http://www.bcab.org.uk/

Gena

Announcing Blindness Advocacy and Self-Help BASHOnline www.bashonline.org
You can join by sending a blank message to:
bashonline-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Personal Pages:  http://www.gena-j.net
 Mobile phone 07951 196268