From: "Tim Pennick" <T.Pennick@axion.bt.co.uk>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Cc: "Tim Pennick" <T.Pennick@axion.bt.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Linux desktop push could benefit disabled

Hi All,

I must say I found the press release about GNOME equally confusing and
uninformative.  I've worked on Sun kit for several years, and its great
as
long a you stick to the command line interface, or curses based screen
applications.  However, I don't think Sun can claim that much in the way
of
accessibility for Java as yet.  I know there has been some work in this
area,
but the nearest I've ever come to using it, was to install the Java
access
classes on my PC for interfacing with JFW.  This has improved my access
to any
aplications by exactly nothing as far as I can tell, so I'm hoping that
the
GNOME (which most people I've ever heard pronounce as nome) project,
will be a
bit more apparent in its benefits.  Presumably, it will have no effect
on
end-user accessibility unless somebody writes a screenreader which
capitalises
on the accessibility features built in to the GNOME environment.

Hope I'm not being too negative about this, as I'd certainly like it to
succeed.  However, I'm wondering if its a feature of Unix/Linux that
there is
a large proportion of people without sight problems who don't care much
for
the GUI approach, and if this explains why a lot of applications which
are
entirely non GUI are still maintained.  If this is the case, maybe its
not
worth putting lots of development into GUI access for the blind on Unix
flavoured operating systems.

Regards,

Tim Pennick