the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

Well, I guess I would say that no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.
There is always the good old Braille N Speak. BTW, the price of the BNS
started out at under a thousand dollars. It didn't stay that way for long. I
definately would like lower prices both as a blind person and as a
salesperson but unfortunately you usually get what you pay for. Papenmeier
has a long time reputation for quality. I have owned and used several of
their displays and I can personally vouch for their reliability. Also I am a
firm believer that Braille allows a blind person to be more productive. That
is a very important factor if an employer is purchasing technology for you.
Unfortunately most blind people who are not working can't afford to purchase
their own equipment, even if the price does drop below a thousand dollars.
The main reason for the high cost in all of these products is the small
market. If Toshiba only sold a couple of thousand laptops the price would be
in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Tommy