the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

Tommy, wait a minute here, computers cost less today across the board. If
we believe what you say, that we get what we pay for, then they should be
poorer computers, not more powerful ones. This just isn't the case.

So, why are computer prices coming down everywhere except assistive
technology, where they're going up? I understand about refreshable braille
displays. I don't understand at all about the rest of it. The
Papenmeier/Alva web page points out that much linux software is free or
low cost. So, are you guys packaging free software and charging more for
it? Please, this price needs an honest explanation.

 On
Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tommy Craig wrote:

> Well, I guess I would say that no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.
> There is always the good old Braille N Speak. BTW, the price of the BNS
> started out at under a thousand dollars. It didn't stay that way for long. I
> definately would like lower prices both as a blind person and as a
> salesperson but unfortunately you usually get what you pay for. Papenmeier
> has a long time reputation for quality. I have owned and used several of
> their displays and I can personally vouch for their reliability. Also I am a
> firm believer that Braille allows a blind person to be more productive. That
> is a very important factor if an employer is purchasing technology for you.
> Unfortunately most blind people who are not working can't afford to purchase
> their own equipment, even if the price does drop below a thousand dollars.
> The main reason for the high cost in all of these products is the small
> market. If Toshiba only sold a couple of thousand laptops the price would be
> in the tens of thousands of dollars.
> Tommy

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp