the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tommy Craig wrote:

> their displays and I can personally vouch for their reliability. Also I am a
> firm believer that Braille allows a blind person to be more productive. That
> is a very important factor if an employer is purchasing technology for you.

My my, what an ego centric statement.
I don't mean that as a flaim, as I am certain you didn't intend it that
way.

You have, however, assumed that everyone is as proficient with braille as
you may be, or as anyone else may be, for that matter.

I can tell you from experience, that while I am reasonably good with grade
one and two braille, it will take me twenty minutes to do somehing with a
braille display, that would have taken five or ten with speech.  That is
magnified greatly on largeer projects.

My point is: while it may make you more productive, myself, and many
others (very possibly the majority) would find it a hinderance to
productivity.

I don't use braille displays for programming either, for this same reason,
and I can afford one if I really needed one.  The fact is, in every
circumstance, speech is better, for *me*.  That may not be true for anyone
else here, but there is no possible way I could make a statement to the
effect that "the braille medium makes a blind person more productive, and
employers know this".  I suppose we should all use white canes as well,
because  they are more condusive to rapid travel, and require far less
maintanance?    Those dogs are so darn unproductive...

Disclaimer: I ment no offense by this post.

Luke
(*) I am a cane user, and yes it is more productive.:)