Hello!

At 04:41 PM 12/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
>install.
>May I now simply suggest that you are wrong if for no other reason than
>that I blind person will be very hard pressed to install Windows at all
>without assistance?

I'm not sure what I said that you think this disproves. My point is that it
takes more knowledge to run a linux machine than a Windows machine. I never
said windows can be installed without sighted assistance. The original
questioner doesn't have a speech synthesizer so he can't install either
linux or windows without sighted assistance.

About six months ago, I had a lightning strike at my home and lost the hard
drive on both my Windows 95 and linux 5.2 machines. I bought 2 new hard
drives and got Windows millenium and red hat 7.1 from the university. Since
I don't have a synthesizer, I needed sighted assistance for both installs.
The linux install took a lot longer and took much more technical knowledge.

But that's okay. Of course it takes more knowledge to install linux than
windows millenium. Linux is way more powerful than windows millenium.

Windows is "easier" mailnly because doesn't do as much as linux. A good
example of this point is file permissions. Can you even set file
permissions in windows millenium? It doesn't really matter because you
don't need them anyway.

If you're going to use linux, you probably need to learn about file
permissions. How hard is that? Well, for some people it might be hard.

Comparing apples to oranges? Yes! In fact, that's partly my point. Linux
does bzillions of things windows doesn't. That's why it takes so much more
knowledge to use. If you're going to use linux, you should be prepared to
go through the process of acquiring that knowledge. Not everybody is going
to want to do that.

Note too that my own example is rather esoteric. Most machines come with
Windows pre-installed. Even if you replace the hard drive, you can usually
boot from the old one, install windows on the new one, and then reboot from
the new one -- all without sighted assistance.

--
John G. Heim
WiscINFO Customer Service Coordinator