personal money management tools for linux without X?

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 10:38:16PM +0100, nath31 wrote:
> Hi Rafael and other,
>

> rafael, your experience in using vmware is very interresting for mi. I
> want to ask you if you use vmware and W2000 with a
> screen reader like Jaws or same or only with a screen magnifier.

VMware is very good at emulating PC including networking and other
peripherals. You can connect or disconnect floppy or CDROM drives as you
need them. You need to do that in order to share those devices with host
OS, Linux in my case. Networking is different. A virtual network is
established between the host OS and the one inside VMware so that you can

> Personally I wish to usevmware and windows with Jaws : do
> you think it will be possible ?

I'm not visualy impaired so I use W2000 the way Microsoft intended it.
Actualy, I use it for only one application at work, manage main firewall.
Checkpoint company doesn't provide a Linux version of firewall manager
which is a shame since they do have Linux version of firewall. We use
Solaris version of checkpoint firewall by the way and W2000 for
management.

> And if you work in braille have you succeed in installing vmware without
> sighted assistance ? The last question : If you use

Did not think about that. To install VMware I did need to point and click
in few places so I assume some assistance might be needed.

VMware works all ways, another words you can use it inside MS windows to
run Linux on the same system. I don't know whay somebody would want to do
that :-)

> Jaws or same can you access Vmware buttons like Power or so ?
> Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yes, there is power button im VMware which turns virtual PC on, runs self
test and proceeds to boot from virtual drive which is just a large file in
Linux. You can have more than one virtual PC on your system.

>From their website: single user license costs US $299.00
They provide 30-Day evaluation license.

Note: I do not work for VMware or have any financial interests in their
business. You experince might be different.

There is at least one other product that has similar functionality,
NeTraverse Win4Lin 3.0 for $79.99 (downloadable version), $89.99 for boxes
set. It's Windows 95/98 environment for Linux and not as powerful as
VMware as far as I know and I do not have any experience with it.

Another option that might be of interest to some of you is single board
computer omnicluster from http://www.slotserver.com. It's a PCI bus based
fully functional computer that can be plugged into standard PC and share
the hard drive or have it's own. PC inside the PC communicates over PCI
bus to the main computer or you can connect it with it's ethernet port.
It has it's own VGA video, ethernet, USB, and audio (IN OUT) ports. Basic
unit goes for about $499. More expensive version has a serial port also.

Using that solution one could run two or more operating systems in the
same box independently and very efficiently.

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace