From: "Tommy Moore" <tmoore@cmrc.org>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: Hello!

> Hi there.
> Yes Red Hat is a pretty good distribution and if you have people that can
> help you along with it that's allways a plus.
> If you don't allways have someone who can see to help you with your
> computer depending on what synthesizer you have if any you could try out
> speakup.
> We have install cds made up with speakup patched in so that you could
> install the entire system yourself. If you only have a sound card though
> your only option left would be emacspeak which most of the users of this
> list use because its the only screen reading system that supports software
> speech.
> Haven't dived in to emacspeak myself but I will pretty soon since I'm
> wanting to use the laptop with out allways having to drag the synth out to
> use it on the road.
>
> HTH.
>
> Tommy
>

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Marijan Janev wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> > It's my first subscription to the list so I am new member and absolute
beginner in Linux.
> > I am blind man who live in Skopje, the capital city of Republic of
Macedonia, where until now no blind computer user have used Linux at all. I
use Windows and JAWS for Win 3.5 but I'd like to give it a try Linux to
experience its capabilities and advantages regarding Windows.
> > I have a few questions:
> >
> > 1. Which version of Linux is the best for blind computer user? Several
sighted friends of mine told me that Redhead is very good.
> > 2. Which program like screen reader in Windows is the best; I know that
there are Emacspeak and Speakup but I don't anything about them.