Hello!

Hi there.
Yes Red Hat is a pretty good distribution and if you have people that can
help you along with it that's allways a plus.
If you don't allways have someone who can see to help you with your
computer depending on what synthesizer you have if any you could try out
speakup.
We have install cds made up with speakup patched in so that you could
install the entire system yourself. If you only have a sound card though
your only option left would be emacspeak which most of the users of this
list use because its the only screen reading system that supports software
speech.
Haven't dived in to emacspeak myself but I will pretty soon since I'm
wanting to use the laptop with out allways having to drag the synth out to
use it on the road.

HTH.

Tommy