Re: autofs reverts to IPv4 for multi-homed IPv6 server ?

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 10:56 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:

> > Another question: What is your expectation in a situation where only
> > IPv6 is available, no IPv4 for the server ? Is  the one mentioned in
> > #25 of
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=737679
> > expected to be still a working solution ? I might have an NFS server
> > soon
> > which, due to a routing conflict difficult to resolve, would only
> > get
> > an IPv6 address visible to the clients. I should test this case with
> > dedicated vm as server anyway ...
>
> I think we've covered that above.

Actually, maybe not.

There's a rather long story associated with the use of NFSv4 and the the
associated server mount (or export) path.

It depends on kernel version and nfs-utils version.

Put simply Linux NFS originally only allowed the use of "/" for NFSv4
mounts but autofs couldn't work out if a translation was needed because
of limited information available from the server.

So Linux NFS was changed to behave like other implementations and allow
the same paths as is used in NFSv3 (and v2). That has the benefit of
allowed for consistent fall back from v4 to v3 as well.