Re: autofs reverts to IPv4 for multi-homed IPv6 server ?

Hello,

so about the same problem quota/ rpc.quotad has with the export root. I
had that already.

I will simply try it by installing the server os into another vm.

Best Regards

Christof

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:21:51AM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 10:56 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> > >
> > > Another question: What is your expectation in a situation where only
> > > IPv6 is available, no IPv4 for the server ? Is  the one mentioned in
> > > #25 of
> > > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=737679
> > > expected to be still a working solution ? I might have an NFS server
> > > soon
> > > which, due to a routing conflict difficult to resolve, would only
> > > get
> > > an IPv6 address visible to the clients. I should test this case with
> > > dedicated vm as server anyway ...
> >
> > I think we've covered that above.
>
> Actually, maybe not.
>
> There's a rather long story associated with the use of NFSv4 and the the
> associated server mount (or export) path.
>
> It depends on kernel version and nfs-utils version.
>
> Put simply Linux NFS originally only allowed the use of "/" for NFSv4
> mounts but autofs couldn't work out if a translation was needed because
> of limited information available from the server.
>
> So Linux NFS was changed to behave like other implementations and allow
> the same paths as is used in NFSv3 (and v2). That has the benefit of
> allowed for consistent fall back from v4 to v3 as well.
>

> > The scenario in that bug shows autofs behaving as expected due to lack
> > of IPv6 support in glibc I think.
> >
> > I hope that the autofs ppa version will perform the mount fine, as
> > long
> > as the server is responding but that's one thing we're here to sort
> > out,
> > ;)
> >
> > Ian
> > --

Dr. rer. nat. Christof Köhler       email: c.koehler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Universitaet Bremen/ BCCMS          phone:  +49-(0)421-218-62334
Am Fallturm 1/ TAB/ Raum 3.12       fax: +49-(0)421-218-62770
28359 Bremen

PGP: http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/c_koehler/