Re: autofs reverts to IPv4 for multi-homed IPv6 server ?

Hello again,
> I've been thinking about this and I have a couple of thoughts.
>
> As far a IPv6 goes using glibc RPC is, I think, not going to work!
>
> That's the first thing that needs to be sorted out.
>
> I've been using libtirpc in Fedora and RHEL builds for nearly 10 years
> so I don't think the library problem is with autofs.
>
> This is an indication someone is doing something a little dumb:
>
> automount[20444]: open_mount:247: parse(sun): cannot open mount module
> nfs (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/autofs/mount_nfs.so: undefined symbol:
> clnt_dg_create)

concerning my failures to build autofs. First the client has all
libtirpc packages I think are necessary:
# dpkg -l libtirpc\*|grep ii
ii  libtirpc-dev                                   0.2.2-5ubuntu2
ii  libtirpc1:amd64                                0.2.2-5ubuntu2

We have libtirpc1 on the machines by default and I had to
install libtirpc-dev so that ./configure would conclude that
--with-libtirpc should do anything.

Actually I tried to compile autofs 5.1.1 from source and a new 5.0.7
package from ubuntu's source deb.

Using the sources at https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/v5/
I was basically confused what to do about the patches. Do I have to
apply everything in patches-5.1.2 to autofs-5.1.1.tar.gz to get 5.1.2 ?
How do I do that automatically ? I noticed that autofs-5.1.1.tar.gz
misses the patch mentioned in message 15 of
but contained in autofs-5.1.1-revert-fix-libtirpc-name-clash.patch.

So to make it short I certainly messed something up
somewhere, the final binary and libs were no success . Additionally
installation did not play nice, although --prefix= was set it overwrote
configuration files in /etc.  But I think I
cleaned everything up afterwards.

If someone can provide some hints I would try it again.

After that I rebuild the 5.0.7 package from source deb after adding
--with-libtirpc to debian/rules as suggested in the bug reports. I
installed from that package.  I checked with ldd after installing
that ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/autofs/mount_nfs.so was build with a
reference to libtirpc.

This try gave the error message in the ubuntu bug
report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/1564380

So, any hints are appreciated. As long as I can stick to 5.0.7 rebuilt
from the source deb installing/re-installing is no problem and I can try
different things you might want. Assuming I can get the program to work :-)

Thank you very much for all your help !

Best Regards

Christof

--
Dr. rer. nat. Christof Köhler       email: c.koehler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Universitaet Bremen/ BCCMS          phone:  +49-(0)421-218-62334

PGP: http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/cms/people/c_koehler/