Re: Mixing ataraid and software raid

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcin" <migor@xxxxx>
To: "ataraid" <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 11:15 AM
Subject: Mixing ataraid and software raid

> Hi,
> I've got Gigabyte GA-7ZXR motherboard with Promise 20265 FastTrack  Lite
raid
> controller.  After disk failure, I've decided to setup raid 1, bought two
> Seagate Barracuda IV 40 GB drivers, and configure them with Promise Bios
> utility. I created 4 Linux and one WinXP Pro NTFS (still waiting for
> SuperMemo for Linux...) partitions. I restored Linux from backup, changed
> /dev/hdaX to /dev/ataraid/d0pX in /etc/fstab, modified lilo.conf, and
> everything run fine. Than I turned off power, disconnected one drive (to
> simulate drive failure) and ... "oops" during loading ataraid appeared
> (2.4.19 from Debian). The same oops shows in 2.4.20-ac2.
>
> Strongly disappointed, I came to the following question: is it possible
(and
> safe, of course) to use software raid-1 (which I succesfully run on
several
> others computers) for Linux, making /dev/hdeX and /dev/hdgX parts of the
> software raid array, and simulaneously take advantage of Promise feature
in
> WinXP using FastTrack drivers array?

Yes it is.  I got scared reading about experiences people have when using
ataraid and one drive dies.  I decided to bail out while I still had a
working system.  I modified my GRUB lines to pass root=/dev/hdaX to the
kernel instead of /dev/ataraid/... and also modified /etc/fstab, then shut
down, plugged the drives into the standard IDE ports instead of the FastTrak
ports, and then started up - no problems!  Then I used cpio to copy the root
volume to another temp location and set up software raid /dev/mdX devices on
the disks and then cpio'd the root volume back into place on the software
raid devices (I have a little /boot volume that isn't raided), modified grub
and fstab AGAIN (this time, to /dev/md0)  and rebooted - voila!  Software
RAID and my system is literally 4 times as fast (storage throughput) as it
was when running ataraid!

Dave...