Mixing ataraid and software raid

Hi,
I've got Gigabyte GA-7ZXR motherboard with Promise 20265 FastTrack  Lite raid
controller.  After disk failure, I've decided to setup raid 1, bought two
Seagate Barracuda IV 40 GB drivers, and configure them with Promise Bios
utility. I created 4 Linux and one WinXP Pro NTFS (still waiting for
SuperMemo for Linux...) partitions. I restored Linux from backup, changed
/dev/hdaX to /dev/ataraid/d0pX in /etc/fstab, modified lilo.conf, and
everything run fine. Than I turned off power, disconnected one drive (to
simulate drive failure) and ... "oops" during loading ataraid appeared
(2.4.19 from Debian). The same oops shows in 2.4.20-ac2.

Strongly disappointed, I came to the following question: is it possible (and
safe, of course) to use software raid-1 (which I succesfully run on several
others computers) for Linux, making /dev/hdeX and /dev/hdgX parts of the
software raid array, and simulaneously take advantage of Promise feature in
WinXP using FastTrack drivers array?

Thanks in advance,
--
Marcin