Re: Mixing ataraid and software raid

Hi

Given the features and maturity of md raid, you should use md raid for a
production server which uses Linux only. When you want hardware RAID but
you cannot afford hardware raid card, get Promise FastTrak. It will serve
as IDE port extension card and also give you the best fake hardware raid
(ataraid) you can get for a cheap price.

FastTrak BIOS tells you which drive failed. RAID 1 (mirrorring) gives you
better read speeds and the most up-to-date backup copy possible when one
disk crashes. Sometimes to have the most recent snapshot of work is
important for certain applications which is why some admins even mirror
Swap partitions.

When one of the disks crash in an ataraid mirror, you can pass
root=/dev/hdeX at the boot time to restore the system and to recover your
data. But the best thing is to use FastTrak BIOS to sync data after
replacing the bad disk

Server redundancy (high availability) is recommended if you have to use
ataraid mirror for critical applications (Rich people: Resonate, CSS,
Local Director; Poor people: lbnamed, DNS round robin)

Recommendations for better mirror diks: Dont use slave disks, Good
cooling, Serial ATA if possible, Enable multimode by default (in kernel),
Use DMA when available, Use correct idebus=XX at boot time

(I dont know who asked but here's the answer) idebus=XX where XX is the
PCI clock speed which is 66 MHz for all computers nowadays, it has nothing
to do with ATA133 etc.