Re: Mixing ataraid and software raid

Johann Uhrmann wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 09:02, Murty Rompalli wrote:
> > Yes, ataraid and promise proprietary raid both do not support that
> > failsafe feature. Hopefully RedHat people will someday integrate such
> > features of md raid into ataraid.
>
> Thanks for that information. I am a little bit confused about
> mirroring-ataraid. To make a long story short:
>
> Why on earth should people use it, if not for that failsafe feature
> which is obviously missing?

Great question. I also see no point in using ataraid on computers running
exclusively Linux. MD raid works really great.
On the other hand, ataraid could be helpful in multi-OS enviroment. As I
wrote, I had to use WinXP Pro, and prefer ataraid to native Windows
mirroring.

> According to the information I have got so far, ataraid behaves like
> this:
[...]
> - If one disk fails, the whole system crashes.

Not exactly (if you use RAID1). Lilo can load your kernel, but during ataraid
detection you get oopses. Recovering procedure requires booting kernel
_without_ ataraid, and changing your fstab to mount proper /dev/hd[efgh]X
partition as your root filesystem. Your files shouldn't be harmed (at least
mine weren't).

> - In that case, the user has to guess which disk failed and copy
>   it to a spare and restart the machine while praying loud in front of a
>   wailing wall to the lord of data consistency.

:))
That "little enhanced bios" informs you, which drive is broken.

> Could someone disprove those statements, please?

Everything I wrote is based on my personal experience with GA-7ZXR motherboard
and Promise FastTrack 100 Lite controller. I set up a raid 1 and had to
detach one drive for a several days.

Marcin