Re: Promise raid controller moves ide0 and ide1

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:47:01 +0200 Frank Steiner
<fst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I have an Asus A7V266-E with an onboard Promise raid controller.
>  We are booting diskless with tftp. My problem is, that Linux
>  detects the promise controller before the normal IDE controller,
>  so that IDE0 and IDE1 are taken by the promise controller, and
>  the normal IDE controller gets IDE2 and IDE3.
>  This is very bad because the diskless clients share config files
>  and are expected to have their local harddisk at ide0.
>
>  Of course I could just plug the hard disk into the promise
>  controller or compile a kernel without support for the promise
>  controller.
>  But I'm curious if there is a way to force linux to give ide0 and ide1
>  to the normal IDE controller?
>  Disabling the "load ata raid bios" in the bios didn't help.
>
>  Does anyone know a way to put the normal IDE controller before
>  the raid controller?

>From the kernel help:
	Boot off-board chipsets first support
	CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD
  	Normally, IDE controllers built into the motherboard (on-board
  	controllers) are assigned to ide0 and ide1 while those on add-in
PCI
  	cards (off-board controllers) are relegated to ide2 and ide3.
  	Answering Y here will allow you to reverse the situation, with
  	off-board controllers on ide0/1 and on-board controllers on ide2/3.
  	This can improve the usability of some boot managers such as lilo
  	when booting from a drive on an off-board controller.

  	If you say Y here, and you actually want to reverse the device scan
  	order as explained above, you also need to issue the kernel command
  	line option "ide=reverse". (Try "man bootparam" or see the
  	documentation of your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) about how to
  	pass options to the kernel at boot time.)

  	Note that, if you do this, the order of the hd* devices will be
  	rearranged which may require modification of fstab and other files.

  	If in doubt, say N.

I think this is what you want.

Pavlos