RE: Mandrake 9.0 and HPT370 help

> ... At first
> I used the Highpoint Tech drivers (the open source ones from their site
> you have to compile).

This driver IS NOT open source. It is binary module and compiled
portion is only "interface" between this driver and kernel.

>  However I now use the built-in ataraid/hptraid
> modules.  The big difference is these are not SCSI emulation like the
> Highpoint Tech ones, and the drives appear under /dev/ataraid/d0p1 (for
> raid disk 0 partition 1) instead of /dev/sda1.

Second difference is in acces into "real" disks - original
driver emulate SCSI device and "real" discs are inaccessible.
With kernel driver are "real" discs accessible as hde, hdg etc.
and user is able set up params via hdparm -> better performance.

> I load the ataraid and
> hptraid modules with an initrd so I have the swap partition available
> when it's turned on.  Since they are in the initrd image, they
> automatically get loaded at boot time.  So it should be fairly easy to
> get a root partition in RAID.

Recommendation : Compile own kernel with this driver biuld-in.

Miroslav BENES
system administrator
TENEZ a.s.
Czech Republic