Re: queue.member and queue.caller status

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I have not looked at the queue application :-)
>
> After reading through the comments, two points:
>
> (1) I agree with Leif: you'll probably want to find some place where
> you can draw a boundary between your queue application and the rest of
> the "system", whatever it happens to be. Anything that occurs after
> the queue has handed off the caller to something else should be the
> domain of the rest of the system. Where you draw that boundary is up
> to you, but StasisEnd is always a good starting point for finding out
> when something is no longer your concern.

Agreed, Leif and I have been discussion this out of band.  But, I
think we are all on the same page.

> (2) Another consideration to think about is how configurable you want
> your reporting to be. If you go down the path of events - which is
> what it appears like you're doing - you are deferring the actual queue
> reports to another piece of software. That's probably a good thing.
> Granularity then becomes an issue: is taking a post-call survey
> something that you want your queue to report? Or should it report (a)
> the caller has left the queue and (b) the caller has hung up - and
> leave the time delta and its implications up to the software that
> interprets the events?

Correct, today we basically have 2 concepts for reports / statistics;
historical and current. Historical is basically any reporting / stats
after the caller is gone.  Current is stats of them still in the
queue.

You are also correct about us pushing reporting off to another piece
of software. Basically we have a consumer on the bus that is just
taking events and then storing them in the database.  Then said
software, which really doesn't exist (but I've hacked a POC),
aggregates the data over a time period (InfluxDB is awesome for this)
and either spits of a report or renders the data in Grafana.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)