Re: kernel 6.1 : suspend/resume problem - s2idle interference

Hello,

Bios updates can be risky, most of the time I do not want to risk it. Recently my family tried to update a Lenovo Laptop through vintage, which is meant to be a seemless BIOS updates for the end consumer without the hassle, well vantage bricked the device, turns out it failed to install the BIOS.

When sent over to Lenovo they of course did not take responsibility for it, and they wanted £400 for a replacement motherboard, even though they were the ones who bricked the damn laptop.

It is now on my todo list, I need to flash the ROM on the motherboard, but whether I can actually do that is hit or miss, because of anti-right to repair features, and lenovo don't give you the tools you need, such as pcb diagrams.

TL;DR, if you do not need to update your BIOS, and there is currently no security issues, DO NOT UPDATE IT, each time you update you risk bricking your motherboard, and these proprietary developers couldn't care less because it actually earns them money if their tools fail because then you pay to have it repaired.

Some motherboards do not have built in flashing tools unfortunately, you would think that in the modern age that every single motherboard will have a flash utility, but some still depend on proprietary chinese flashing utilities, which first of are written in chinese so how you meant to know what you are clicking? and secondly, only run on windows.

This is why when PC builders recommend to cheap out on the motherboard as it doesn't effect performance as much as cheaping out on graphics card or cpu, are full of sh*t because the motherboard is the most important part, without a reliable motherboard good luck getting anything to work! Always do your research into whether your motherboard has built-in flashing utilities, and whether they support linux flashing tools etc, saves you headache!

Thanks,
Polarian