Re: kernel 6.1 : suspend/resume problem - s2idle interference

On Mon, 2023-01-02 at 13:05 +0000, Polarian wrote:
> it can be very difficult to update your BIOS/UEFI

Hi,

nowadays it's usually very easy to do by either saving a downloaded file
to an fat partition on the internal drive or a fat formatted USB stick
or drive. After that it's possible to update the BIOS by an BIOS option

However, I'm allergic to the inflationary trend of recommending BIOS
updates when something goes wrong without even knowing if it's BIOS
related.

I strongly recommend to read the changelog of available BIOS updates, to
see if something related to the issue is fixed, if not consider to stay
away from an update. Apart from my recommendation vendors usually
recommend to update the BIOS only if something is fishy, because they
claim that a BIOS update is risky.

>From the OP's description I've got the impression that it could be a
kernel regression.

Muscle tension is also said to be a cause of tinnitus, but initially it
makes more sense to see an ENT doctor than an orthopaedist. IOW If the
problem occurs after a kernel update but goes away after a kernel
downgrade, it's not that unlikely that the kernel is to blame, so a BIOS
update to fix the problem doesn't sound particularly promising to me,
but a BIOS update could cause additional problems.

Regards,
Ralf