Re: What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:14:07 +0530, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 15:22 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
On 08/12/2012 02:43 PM, Joakim Hernberg wrote:

> I also don't quite understand the PA discussion.  I am not thrilled
> to have libpulse pulled in as a dependency, but on the other hand I
> have never seen it cause a problem in arch.  Of course I have no
> intention of installing, nor of starting pulseaudio itself on my
> system...

From what I've seen, libpulse doesn't cause problems (other than
occupying space). I'm not thrilled about it either. But it seems
possible to have it on the system without drawing in the rest of the
pulseaudio toolchain that is clearly problematic.

Great discussion, by the way. I don't fully understand it either, but
given the problems I've had with pulseaudio, I appreciate what seems
to be confirmation that I'm losing nothing by leaving it out.

libpulse is ok :), I don't care about some bytes more or less. A desktop
picture nowadays needs more RAM/ROM than a complete workstation needs 2
decades ago.

The issue was/is/will be, that PA is a dependency, even if it's not
needed.

Regards,
Ralf

OT: this is the first discussion of PA, systemd, etc., in my limited experience that didn't lead to ad hominem attacks, stays on topic, and actually provides useful information. great!

--
phani.