Re: What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

On 08/11/2012 12:22 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One thing that the folks/upstream that are merging all these things together
is missing is that the future of "user" computer is moving to phones and
ipad type devices.  PC will still be around but the consumer has spoken and
it looks like he/she is moving to these devices.  I don't condemn them for
doing so as they want something that works.  Turn it on and get what they
want done, PCs don't do this.
How are/would these giant concoctions going to play here as they don't have
the storage, memory, or cpu to handle this.  The direction should be going
in the tool kit style as in here's the kernel and you can bolt on all of
these independent things. Something like android?
I would be surprised if a systemd-based system requires more resources
than a sysvinit-based one, but that is of course something one would
have to measure for each particular use-case.

There are lots of systemd-based embedded systems cropping up (the
embedded world seems more excited about sysntemd than the desktop
world). The aim of systemd is to work on anything from embedded, via
desktop to servers.

-t

I am not looking at this from an systemd point of view.
My point is the constant bloat with software today. Theses bloated packages will not fit/function on hand held devices. Is it not more sensible to build small apps that do one or two things well then bloated apps that try to do 25 things unwell?